I don’t have an iPhone, I’m an Android guy.
However, the kids got new phones for Christmas and haven’t used their iPods since!
I thought I’d enrol the iPods into Intune, and take a note of all of the steps. The iPhone will be pretty much exactly the same process.
- Download the ‘Intune Company Portal’ from the AppStore
- Once the Intune Company Portal is installed, open the app and you will be prompted to sign in. At this point you should sign in using your corporate credentials. If you have MFA enabled, then the MFA process will take place.
- Once you have completed this process choose ‘Begin’ to start the process to install the Management Profile onto your device
- You will see the following screen which details what your company can never see on your device, and what it may see
- You will now see the following screen which details the ‘next steps’
- Once you click continue you will be prompted to Allow the Intune Company Portal to open the Settings app on your device
- Selecting ‘Allow’ will redirect you to the Settings App where you will be shown the Management Profile that needs to be installed on the device. Choose ‘Install’ in the top right of the screen, and the following screens will be shown. The Management Profile is what enables Intune to manage the device. As you can see from the screens below “The administrator may collect personal data, add/remove accounts and restrictions, install, manage and list apps, and remotely erase data on your iPod”
- Once the Management Profile has been installed, you will be prompted to select a category for the device. These categories can be created within the Intune Portal. The categories can then be used to categorize devices in reports and Azure Active Directory Groups. As you can see, we do not have an ‘Apple iPod’ category – we wouldn’t expect many (if any – apart from me) users to be enrolling iPods as work devices! I can safely choose the ‘Apple iPhone’ category for my iPod.
- Once you have selected your category and clicked ‘Continue’, your device is enrolled into Intune.
- As default, devices are enrolled into Intune as ‘Personal’ devices, and not ‘Corporate’. This can be setup in Intune in a number of ways, which will be described in future articles. For the benefit of this enrollment, we have manually changed the ownership from ‘Personal’ to ‘Corporate’ within the Intune Portal. When this occurs the user will receive a notification in the Intune Company Portal
- The device is now fully enrolled as a Corporate iPod!